My coworker, Mark, asked me how I get eBooks onto my iPad today. I told him I had never read an eBook on my iPad and he said I needed to correct this.
Since I store all of my eBooks in my OneDrive account and then manage them with calibre, I will sometimes just open PDFs from the caliber folder using the OneDrive iPad app and read them in Acrobat Reader on the iPad, but it seemed like there should be a better way to read eBooks. I also wanted a good way to read epub files on the iPad.
It turns out that the calibre team already figured out how to do this, so I am leaving the steps I tried here so I will remember them in the future:
- Launch calibre on your PC/Mac.
- Turn on the Content Server by clicking the Connect/Share button and leave calibre running.
- Start the Safari browser on the iPad and type in the IP address and port of the computer running the calibre server, like this:
- You will see a list of books in Safari, just click on the epub link for whichever book you want to read, Safari will then prompt you to open it with iBooks.
- I had to click the Get button on the calibre web page for the specific book I wanted to transfer to open the book in iBooks.
That’s it! Happy reading.